Family-to-Family is a free 12-week course for family and friends of individuals with mental illness. You will join other family members and friends with similar experiences. Trained NAMI family members teach the classes.
One of the most important things we tell course participants: “The best way to take care of your family member is to first take care of yourself.”
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem-solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
“Family members who take the NAMI Family-to-Family course are better equipped to work with mental health clinicians in a collaborative manner. My bottom-line recommendation? Take this course. It will help you learn to cope successfully with a major challenge in your life, and that, in turn, will help your loved one as he or she works toward recovery.”
— Peter Weiden, M.D., author of Breakthroughs in Antipsychotic Medications
The 12-week sessions run each spring and fall.
*Sessions are free, but registration is required.
Thursday Evening 12 week Course
Date : March 7, 2019
Time : 6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Location : Glenwood Church of Christ
5210 Hollytree Drive, Tyler
**Late registration ends March 21, 2019**
Contact Mildred Witte of NAMI Tyler to register (903) 245-4231
Spanish Spring Family-to-Family
12 week Course
Tentative Start Date: March 19, 2019
For more information and registration contact (409) 789-1806
For information on future course dates and locations, contact NAMI Tyler at (903) 245-4231