The fundamentals of caring for you and your child with emotional difficulties of concern, such as anxieties, sleeplessness, depression, anger issues, eating disorders, and so forth.
NAMI BASICS is a free education program for parents and other caregivers of children/adolescents living with mental illness. NAMI drew on course elements which have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective.
These elements include:
* Recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family
* Sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family
* Recognition of the need to help reduce the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management
* Gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a lifelong role of family understanding and support
* Empowerment of caregivers as active advocates for their children
The NAMI BASICS education program includes the following components:
* Six 2 1/2 hour classes of instructional material, discussions and interactive exercises
* A section of the NAMI website dedicated to disseminating information, including informational videos and resources for the program
* In addition to the core six classes, additional topic modules will be available for independent presentations
NAMI BASICS registration is open
- Sessions are free
- Registration is required
Thursday Morning 6 week Course
**Updated Start Date**
Basics Classes scheduled to begin Thursday Oct.31,2019, have been RESCHEDULED for six Thursdays beginning January 30, 2020.
Date : January 30, 2020
Time : 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Location : First Presbyterian Church
230 West Rusk, Tyler Tx 75701
Contact Mildred Witte of NAMI Tyler to register